Friday, 26 October, 2018
On Friday 19 October 2018, The Rt Hon. Beverley McLachlin delivered the 2018 Sir David Williams Lecture entitled “Where Are We Going? Reflections on the Rule of Law in a Dangerous World“. (more info: downloadable audio, photos)
Friday, 20 April, 2018
Bought James Comey‘s “A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership” the day it came out as a Kindle ebook and I’ve enjoyed reading it so far. And I got a chance to start reading the “James Comey’s memos” (PDF file) (via CNN).
Watched a whole bunch of Comey TV interviews and enjoyed all of them. Here are some samples.
And this BBC 22 minutes interview “James Comey on Donald Trump and the FBI”
26 Apr, 2018 update: James Comey gets real in CNN town hall
Sunday, 17 December, 2017
CBC News, Dec 18, 2017, “Beverley McLachlin reflects on Supreme Court career, dispute with PM Harper” (~13 minutes extensive interview)
CPAC, Dec 7, 2017, (~17 minutes video) “Beverley McLachlin Bids Farewell to Supreme Court”
December 14, 2017, CBC Radio, ‘We can do a lot better’: Retiring Beverley McLachlin on what’s wrong with our justice system
CBC Radio Ottawa, Dec 15, 2017 “Goodbye Beverley McLachlin – A retirement party fit for a Supreme Court Chief Justice.” (~10 minutes)
2017 Dec, “(video clips) CTV News Channel: McLachlin takes questions, pt. 1 (~12 minutes) pt. 2 (~9 mins)” – Beverley McLachlin’s farewell: Five quotes you need to know
Gala Dinner in Honour of Beverley McLachlin (full ~93 minutes video via CPAC)
~14:02 TRH former GG David Johnston (great speech, who is a legal scholar in his own right)
~21:02 TRH GG Julie Payette
~25:48 TRH Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
~36:01 TRH Prime Minister Jean Chrétien
~41:20 TRH Prime Minister Brian Mulroney (great speech)
~54:50 TRH former GG Adrienne Clarkson (great speech)
~1:14:50 Retired Chief Justice Beverley_McLachlin (LOVE this final address)
“Supreme Court Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin is honoured at an Ottawa dinner on the eve of her retirement. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, former prime ministers Jean Chrétien and Brian Mulroney, as well as former governors general David Johnston and Adrienne Clarkson pay tribute to Canada’s longest-serving chief justice. The event is organized by the National Judicial Institute. (December 14, 2017)”
Note: I’m looking forward CBC National’s Sunday December 17, 2017 in-depth interview by Rosie of the Chief. Will add a link when I see it. [update: Video interview has now been added!]
Sunday, 29 October, 2017
* Phantom Thread is “reportedly Daniel Day-Lewis’s final performance in a film”. (Trailer)
* Iris Gaines: You know, I believe we have two lives.
Roy Hobbs: How… what do you mean?
Iris Gaines: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
– from The Natural (1984) (from my collection of Quotes I LOVE)
* Happy birthday Bill Gates! Future generations may remember you for your charitable work and your technical contributions as a footnote.
* A picture is worth 1.4 billion words. #china (Note: Trump craves absolute power so much that he sees no problem saying this: ‘He’s a powerful man… a very good person’)
* (with video) Lovely panel. Got me thinking of the old days of my friend Sarb (who has a Phd in neural networks (NN)) and I chatted about NN over our many lunch time walks in the late 90s. Cutting edge computer science remains fun for me.
The Deep Learning Summit took place in Montreal on 10-11 October 2017 and brought together global AI pioneers including: Yoshua Bengio, Yann LeCun, and Geoffrey Hinton, as well as experts from companies including Intel, NVIDIA, Twenty Billion Neurons and Apple.
We’re currently working on the videos for the summit so please fill in the form below and we’ll email you when they’re ready.//
* Good interview/chat. 92nd Street Y Live chat (video) — with Whoopi Goldberg and Melissa Rivers.
* Highly recommended documentary viewing Abacus: Small Enough to Jail via @frontlinepbs #inspirational #國寶銀行
* Worth a watch. //It’s a fact: Supreme Court errors aren’t hard to find.//
Thursday, 26 October, 2017
“New York City to me is a readymade! The beauty about New York City is co-existence and tolerance and sharing.” “Fences can be solid as a wall. But many fences you can see through. You can have hatred or admiration about the other side.” – Ai Weiwei (Vimeo video @1:47 & @2:42) (ref Public Art Fund) (Adding this to my long list of Quotes I LOVE)
PAF40: Ai Weiwei: Good Fences Make Good Neighbors (here is a Public Art Fund link to donate any amount small or big)
P.S. Thrilled to have made a tiny contribution to Public Art Fund for this project. “A small act is worth a thousand Facebook Likes.” as I like to say.
2017 Nov 6 Update: TimesTalks | Ai Weiwei (2017/10/16)
This is a cool one because they knew each other for so long. 2014/10/29 Ai Weiwei talks with Evan Osnos – The New Yorker Festival (interview with Evan Osnos)
Thursday, 5 October, 2017