(Last partial update: 20130310)
Movies A-Z: a “randomish” list of movies from A-Z, in no particular order, that I have watched and enjoyed over the years.
* No End in Sight (2007) “The American Occupation of Iraq – The Inside Story From the Ultimate Insiders”,
* The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara (2003),
* Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005) love the insight on Enron as told by many of those that were close to the action,
* Roger & Me (1989) first doc that I love,
* Hoop Dreams (1994) second doc that I love,
* The Corporation (2003) insightful doc and even better DVD,
* Grizzly Man (2005) what a well told and captivating story.
* Last Train Home (2010) see my review
* El Bulli: Cooking in Progress (2011) watch trailer
* Kings of Pastry (2010)
* Bill Cunningham New York (2010) trailer
* The Dark Knight (2008) Heath Ledger should really have won an Oscar,
* The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009) Heath Ledger‘s last film imaginatively directed by Terry Gilliam,
* WALL-E (2008) masterly and cutely told story,
* Slumdog Millionaire (2008) wonderfully told story,
* Bridges of Madison County (1995) love the story & the acting,
* When Harry Met Sally (1989) One of my all time favourite,
* English Patient (1996) what a great cast & story,
* Citizen Kane (1941) Simply classic,
* Sunset Blvd. (1950) What a wonderful film,
* Sexy Beast (2000) Kingsley and co-stars were great,
* The End of the Affair (1999) love the story and the acting,
* Paper Moon (1973) wonderful and lovely story with Tatum O’Neal,
* United 93 (2006) one 9/11 tragedy masterly told by Paul Greengrass,
* Tigerland (2000) Colin Farrell was first discovered here and he was great,
* Sense and Sensibility (1995) the film was great and the production notebook by Emma Thompson was wonderful to read too,
* Crimson Tide (1995) an intense story told well by Denzel and Gene,
* Reservoir Dogs (1992) wonderful work by QT,
* Pulp Fiction (1994) this is the breakout work of QT,
* Kill Bill Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 (2003 & 2004) another creative work by QT,
* Fight Club (1999) so creative and so bloody and so cool,
* Elizabeth (1998) Cate, Geoffrey, and Christopher were all great,
* Eve & the Fire Horse (2005) Julia Kwan worked magic with Phoebe & Hollie,
* Billy Elliot (2000) nice job by Jamie Bell and co-stars.
* Patton (1970) great film about the general and the man. George C. Scott was great in the film.
* Paths of Glory (1957) a great anti-war film, great job by Kirk Douglas
* In the Mood For Love (2000) great performance by Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung as directed by Wong Kar Wai,
* Infernal Affairs (2002) great acting by Tony Leung and Andy Lau. I hope Hollywood doesn’t mess up this great Chinese film with the remake “The Departed” (2006) by the great director Martin Scorsese. (update: the remake was ok, some of the classic moments were dumbed down in the US remake)
* Comrades: Almost a Love Story (1996) great job by Maggie Cheung and Leon Lai,
* Prison on Fire (1987) what a wonderful job by Chow Yuen-Fat
* Cinema Paradiso (1989) I still cry when I watch it,
* Three Colours: Blue, White, Red (1993, 1994, 1994) Love these three films. But if I have to rank them, I will say White, Blue, and then Red.
* Barbarian Invasions (2003) Wonderful story telling by Denys Arcand,
* The Decline of the American Empire (1986) love the original French version, and I really hate the awfully dubbed English version.
* City of God (2002) great story telling, creative style & cinematography.
* Babette’s Feast (1987) Great drama about love and food. Wow, food! Watch it on YouTube (part 1/2, part 2/2)
* Heat (1995) have watched this countless times and still love it,
* Nikita (1990) love the original French version,
* The Professional (1994) Gary Oldman, Jean Reno & Natalie Portman (where she first got noticed) were all great.
* Collateral (2004) Cruise and Foxx did a great job in this Mann film.
* Strictly Ballroom (1992) Love this little film,
* Groundhog Day (1993) I watch it yearly on Groundhog Day,
* The Truman Show (1998) My favourite Carrey film,
* Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) one of the most inventive film,
* Pretty Woman (1990) a favourite classic of mine.
* Cashback (2004) so creative, love Sean and Emilia, and nice cinematography (click to watch the full short film here),
* Milo 55160 (2004) wonderful story telling,
* Flip Phone (2003) nice funny short film.