Kempton has worked as a software engineer for ten years – five years on the Transport Canada‘s Air Traffic Control system (Canadian Automated Air Traffic System) and then five years on the Canadian Department of National Defence‘s Iris Digital Communications System. He then attended the University of Calgary to earn a MBA degree and acquire some needed management consulting and entrepreneurial skills.
After he received his MBA, he decided to make a documentary. Without any formal training, his first documentary “Long Hair Revolution“ received funding from the National Film Board of Canada and was screened at the 2005 Calgary International Film Festival. In 2009, “Long Hair Revolution” was added to the “Library and Archives Canada” permanent collection in Ottawa.
Educational background & Awards
CTV Fellow June 2006
* Awarded a CTV Fellowship to attend the prestigious Banff World Television Festival where Kempton pitched his projects to broadcasters from around the world (including BBC, NHK, CBC and CNN).
Producer Emergence Program Certificate May 2006
High Definition Production Training January 2006
Northern Alberta Institute of Technology & Alberta Motion Picture Industries Association.
Master of Business Administration 2003 University of Calgary
* Alberta Heritage Scholarship (2003)
* Bantrel Inc. Graduate Scholarship for academic excellence (2001)
Bachelor of Science with High Distinction
Computer Science for Data Management 1991 University of Toronto
* Silver Medal for academic excellence at St. Michael’s College (91)
* Faculty scholar (89 to 91)
* St. Michael’s College scholarship (87/89)