If you haven’t seen Amy Adams & Jeremy Renner‘s Sci-Fi film Arrival directed by Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners (2013) and Sicario (2015)), go watch! I’ve written an extensive post with many video links here.
Here are my random thoughts:
- A good Sci-Fi story/novel/movie will get you thinking. And Arrival (based on Ted Chiang‘s short story Story of Your Life) sure got me thinking long after I left the theatre.
- If you can see the totality of time, what would you do? How would you behave?
- I LOVE the movie so much that I ended up reading Ted Chiang‘s Story of Your Life to try to enjoy it on a deeper level and to try to understand how the story got adapted into a movie.
- There were, in hindsight pointless to me, “outrage” in Hong Kong at the ‘Arrival’ poster skyline blunder that was reported by BBC, The Hollywood Reporter, Guardian, and CBS News (with some reference tweets). It has not lost on me that the film deals with the difficulty in communicating in an alien language and troubles we humans can cause each other if we don’t communicate well.
- While not explored in the film, we can all play “thought experiments” and imagine on our death beds, what would we have wanted to have done with our lives “looking back”?
- Denis‘ next film will be “Blade Runner 2049“. It will be awesome to see what he will do in it!