Death of an Energy Efficient Spiral Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb

Death of an Energy Efficient Spiral Compact=

This Energy Efficient Spiral Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb started to flicker and I thought it was going to die pretty soon. So I took my camera out and decided to shoot a video of its death.

What I didn’t expect was the chemical burning smell that came afterwards. I am glad there wasn’t any fire but the chemical smell was strong enough that I opened the window for half an hour.

I hope better and more affordable LED light will come to the market soon.

3 Responses to Death of an Energy Efficient Spiral Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb

  1. Marcel says:

    Hi there!

    Well, one of the filaments is burned, At one end of the tube the filament heated the whole area up and thatsd why the area around the tube is burned. What you could smell was just the housing of this lamp…

    High quality CFLs (Osram, Philips, GE etc.) shut down before it comes to a situation like this!

    Yours is from China! I think it was very cheap, wasn’t it? Those are really dangerous! One CFL vom IKEA (a big swedish shop for furniture) already burnt completely at a friend’s house! They were lucky, that the CFL was covered by metal and glas at that time…

    Sorry for my bad english but normally i only speak german ;)

  2. kempton says:

    Thanks for your comment Marcel. Some more expensive CFLs have an extra housing around the curly tubes.

    What I am hoping is the LEDs lamps getting cheap enough to use as a replacement. At the moment, the LEDs maps are sooooo expensive.

  3. Tom says:

    I figured out that the downward facing mount on a ceiling fan causes the electronics to overheat. The only vent is on top of the base. I now drill three holes at the bottom of the base near the threads. My CFLs now last much longer. Just wrap tape a few mm above the point of the drill bit so you do not drill too deep and hit components.

%d bloggers like this: