I have no doubt China will be changed as a result of the 2008 Olympics (the triple 8 Olympics — 8th August (the eight month), 08 (number eight for prosperity)) with the spotlight from around the world. It is just difficult to say will it be for the good or bad. I hope it will be for the good but the pessimistic side of me thinks that something good can only happen if key senior Chinese leaders willingly give up some of their power at least in the short term. May be they won’t, may be they can’t. I just hope they will, and I still hope they can.
Based on news like the following, it is unlikely that things will suddenly quiet down.
- Beijing admits riots spread to provinces, arrests made
- China in ‘life and death’ battle with Tibetan dissidents, party chief says – from CBC with video
- China: Olympic Torch Route Won’t Change
- China Terrorizes Tibet – NYT editorial
- Authorities in Lhasa parade ‘repentant rioters’ on TV – UK Guardian – with video report
- UK PM Brown tells China he will meet Dalai Lama during London visit – UK Guardian – with video report
- 蘋 論 ： 最 需 要 解 放 思 想 的 是 掌 權 者 – paid subscription required
- More Chinese troops to Tibet
- Harper urges China to ‘show restraint’ in Tibet – from CBC with video